Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Family Histories Transcribed


I recently found an old issue of The Prattler, a student magazine I worked for as an undergraduate at Pratt Institute. My assignment was to speak to my Grandpa Walt about the Pearl Harbor attacks and his experiences as a soldier during World War II.

As I re-read this forgotten artifact I realized how lucky I was to have it. My grandfather did not willingly talk about the war. The only time I remember him mentioning it was when the Nuremberg television mini-series came out in 2000, and that was only to tell me that the cells didn't look like the way the show portrayed them and that Brian Cox didn't look or act at all like Hermann Göring. That was the day I learned my grandpa had been a guard at Nuremberg.

My grandpa passed away in 2007. It is such a gift to have his experiences in his own words. I have a record of our family history as well as a piece of American history told by someone who lived it.

As a writer, I am interested in family, local, American, and world history. Chronicling family histories and creating historical documents that can be passed down to future generations is fascinating to me. A simple Microsoft Word document can easily be mailed to all of your relatives around the world. A hardbound copy of your favorite childhood memory will become a treasured family heirloom. I will work with you and your family to create the perfect written record that will preserve your family's history for years to come!

For more information email me or call (650) 339-6040 today!

No comments:

Post a Comment